Sunday

Bagua: designed by a schizophrenic?

Bagua is a weird form of kung fu; it is so sneaky and evasive. I first saw Hubby doing it at bootcamp in 2007. He started learning it from Peter Southwood in 1990 and received 20 years training in the art from his teacher. Baguazhang looks very spontaneous to watch and is unpredictable.

I've learned the first 6 palm changes at a crude level and really feel the paranoid strategy of bagua. You are constantly turning unexpectedly, checking behind you, changing direction erratically. It was invented by an Imperial Guard, a bodyguard and is famous for its effectiveness. My theory is that it was created by a paranoid schizophrenic!

Hubby trains the palm changes for 30-60 minutes every day. I manage 15-20 mins myself most days and try to do 30 mins at the weekend. It is firming up my legs!